Friday, October 17, 2008

Day Whatever: MINI-GOLF

5 rounds. 4 days. It was an epic battle between father and son for vacation supremacy. My father is an aspiring Senior PGA golfer so i always have to bring my A game when we face off. Round one was the budget round where we landed Orlando mini golf for 5 smacks a person. Not an easy task in the land of Disney. Anyway the course was terribly easy and one or two bad putts lost me the first round. Score one for dad.

We ventured to jungle golf for some Sunday night golf. The deal of the day featured two rounds for 12 or one for 10 so rounds two and three were housed here. This turned out to be one of the more challenging courses on the mainland of Orlando. Most holes you needed sheer luck to get a hole in one so dad and i rubbed our rabbit feet. I'd go back to this place. It was pretty original and dad and i split the two rounds. New score 1-2 dad.

One of the Create Chaos patrons i met was a female sports junkie and we had tons to talk about. She was an Orlando resident; so upon asking her what she does since she wasn't a tourist, the first thing out of her mouth was mini golf. Ecstatic, i continued the conversation by asking the most challenging mini-golf in Orlando. And thats where dad and i met our maker. Enter Fantasia Gardens. A Disney owned course on their New Berlin sized piece of land. The course took the look and shape of real golf course holes shrunken down to scale. No walls keeping the ball in play, no forgiveness for a long shot. This course was ridiculous. And it was hilarious to see my dad play it. I dont mean to poke fun at my father for how tough he is on himself because he scrutinizes himself more than anyone i've ever met. Especially with golf. So when he stopped being mad at himself and got fed up with the course, i couldnt help but laugh until it hurt. Needless to say we both did horrible. The greens were insanely fast even after being poured on, and we had almost 0 control on where the ball was going to go. I won even after being something like 15 over par. Tied at two.

Disney always wants you to come back for more. So much so that they cut you discounts to lure you back in. Enter round 5: Winter Summerland. This course was themed as, you guessed it, winter in a hot climate. For whatever reason, that night, Tuesday night, i was unstoppable. I played some of the best mini golf of my life and bested my dad to cement myself 3-2 in the series. We didnt play again and I guess that makes me the champion. Sorry pop.

end quote.

No comments: